Salt & Pepper
The ultimate vegetarian burger #yummy
I’d like your attention please because this burger is totally different from all the rest. It’s delicious, nutritious, full of color, easy to make & mostly guilt free! If a regular burger is pure bliss then this specific juicy mushroom burger with vegan cheese is an orgasm.
When the years go by and I become an old lady with purple hair and boho scarves, when they ask me what I remember most about my life, I will tell them the first time I balanced on my head in yoga, the first time I heard the words “I love you” and the night I first made my vegetarian burger.
It was May and the moon was full. I had just finished work from the office and I was running like crazy to buy mushrooms, (fresh and air dried), white onions, soft fluffy buns, delicious ripe tomatoes, scentful parsley, vegan cheese – the one that melts slowly – and BRAVA mustard (because a burger after all needs to be juicy, to bite into it and needing plenty of serviettes). Lets just get cooking…
Vegetarian Burger with a mushroom patty
Portions: 6 burgers, Prep Time: 30-40′, Cooking Time: 7-8′
Ingredients for mushroom patties
- 500-600 gr white mushrooms
- 3-4 dried shiitake or portobello mushrooms
- 1 white onion
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs – or for Vegans: 2 tbsp ground linseed & a little bit of water or 2 tbsp egg replacer & 4 tbsp water
- ½ cup whole wheat flour (or all purpose flour)
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan (only for vegetarians)
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ bunch of finely chopped parsley
- olive oil
- salt & fresh ground pepper
For the burgers
- 6 sesame buns
- mild BRAVA mustard (or any other mustard of your choice)
- 6 slices of swiss cheese (for vegetarians) or cheese with vegetable fats (for vegans)
- 1 whole sliced tomato
- 6 rings of onion
- 1 sliced avocado
1) Clean the mushrooms removing the stems and peeling the mushroom top. Cut them in small pieces.
2) Place a nonstick frying pan on the stove and add 2-3 tbsp of olive oil. Once it has reached a high temperature, toss in the mushrooms. Saute on high heat and once all of its juices have been released, lower the heat and allow to cook and juices to evaporate.
3) At the same time place the dried mushrooms in warm water and once they have softened, add them to the pan as well. Chop the onion in pieces and add them as well. Saute for about 7-8 minutes.
4) Transfer the mushrooms into your food processor and turn into a puree. If the puree is too thick, just add some of the warm water used to soften the dried mushrooms previously.
5) Place the puree into a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients.
6) Stir well with a spoon. If your mixture is too runny, add a touch more flour.
7) Place a nonstick frying pan on high heat on your stove and allow it to heat up. Mold 6 mushroom patties and place in the frying pan. Fry for 4 minutes on each side. Two minutes before we remove from the pan, place the cheese on top of each patty to melt.
8) Add the patty to the buns and place condiments as you wish. Serve immediately.
Is your mouth watering? mine too.