Salt & Pepper
...and Michelada cocktail!
Listening To: The Staves – Mexico
You’ve all realized by now that every time I write a recipe I like to let you know a couple of things about it’s history, it’s versatile and the ways you can change each recipe according to your taste. Tacos are one of those dishes, with which you can improvise as much as you like, to play with various tastes, textures and aromas and each and every tome in a different way!
If someone arrives at a Taqueria in Mexico, they won’t know what to choose! Beginning from the tortilla, there are choices from soft tortillas, hard and crunchy (hard shelled Tacos), corn, whole grain, and the more modern Tex Mex such as fried crispy tacos and puffy tacos. The fillings satisfy every pallet: Chilly Con Carne, fish, chicken, slow roasted beef, cheese for vegetarians, pork chops, chorizo and the list goes on and on…
We chose to slow roast the beef, to make it slightly spicy and shred it, creating a delicious and soft Shredded Beef and to fill our hard filled taco. Than we filled each one with different ingredients such as corn, Salsa Fresca, Guacamole, sour cream, jalapenos etc. We enjoyed them drinking an authentic Mexican cocktail Michelada!
This cocktail is one of the most loved in Mexico as well as in all Latino countries in general. We mixed authentic Mexican SOL beer with lemon juice and fresh cilantro and rolled the rim of our glass in salt! And just like that all margaritas of the world became green with envy and we enjoyed a perfect Mexican meal, one sundrenched midday of October….
Servings: 6, Prep Time: 30′, Cooking Time: 3 hours
Ingredients for the Beef
- 1 kilo beef neck
- 150ml ( 1 cup ) beef or chicken broth
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs honey
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of hot paprika
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 2 tsp of cilantro powder
- 2tsp of tabsco or other hot sauce
- 6 hard shell tacos
- Jalapenos, corn, red beans
- Salsa, guacamole, sour cream, melted cheddar
1. Spread out the onions and peppers, chopped in big chunks, in a pan.
2. In a bowl, mix the tomato paste, the spices, Tabasco, honey and salt. Spread the mixture on the meat and place it on the veggies. Add the broth.
3. Seal the pan with waxed paper and tin foil and roast at 150oC
4. Check the meat with a fork. It must be completely soft and should be easy to cut with a knife. If needed, roast it a little more for 30’ covered in tin foil.
5. Using 2 forks, shred the meat while still in the pan and mix in the veggies and liquids.
6. Fill each taco with beef and the ingredients of your choice and serve.
Ingredients for 2 cocktails
- 1 SOL beer
- 5-6 stems of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 limes
1. Rub the rim of each glass with lime
2. Split the beer in the two glasses, avoid creating beer foam
3. Squeeze 1 lime in each glass and add the cilantro
4. Give it a good mix and fill glasses with ice. Serve!
Some info about SOL beer:
Type: blond Lager\ Alcohol: 4,5%
County of origin is Mexico. This light lager with its smooth and refreshing taste has a golden color, a soft hops aroma and it’s to be drunk straight from the bottle. It was created in 1899, and its original name was “El Sol” inspired by a sunbeam that passed through the rooftop of the brewery and brought out the unique golden color.