Salt & Pepper
Authentic American Burgers
Burgers, burgers, burgers!! Once you try it, you’re hooked! And once you’re hooked, it’s over!! Burgers have been Americans’ favourite meal for years, and for the last two years it has entered Greek kitchens for good, almost replacing the favourite souvlaki!! But how can you make the perfect burger at home, you ask? Don’t worry! I’m here to give you all the tips you need ( the proper, professional tips, the same ones we make in the kitchen of New York Sandwiches)….
A good, kinky burger isn’t done any old way! We don’t just put it in the pan and may God help you. It needs sex appeal, a certain kind of ground beef, with just the right amount of fat. You need to know how to mould it and cook it the right way. Making a perfect burger is a science in itself and you are about to find out all about it in the next 5 minutes!
Starting from the ground beef, ask your butcher for beef flank with 30% fat. Ask for the meat to be ground just once so it will remain nice and chunky as it should. When you get home, knead it in little patties of 190-200 gr. and apply pressure with your hand in order for them to spread open in a flat round patty ( correct any cracks that may appear on the edges). Never ever make the patties too thick, because they’ll shrink when they get cooked anyway! Gather up your burger buns and your condiments and lets go cook the best homemade burgers ever!!
Extra tips: Make sure your sauces are delicious! We always choose the best there is, Greek sauces from BRAVA: the ketchup with the semi-sweet-sour taste of tomatoes, the just like homemade mayo with a rich and creamy texture, and our favorite BRAVA mustard with a soft, somewhat sour flavour. Your veggies must always be fresh and freshly cut. And remember to always use a jagged knife when cutting your veggies so they won’t lose their juices when you cut them.
Authentic American Burgers
Portions: 4, Prep time: 20’, Cooking time: 8’
- 800 gr. of ground beef flank, ground once with 30% fat
- 4 brioche burger buns
- 4 eggs
- BRAVA ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise
- Cheddar cheese slices
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Tomato slices
- Onions slices
- Thinly sliced pickles
1. Mould the meat into 4 burgers according to above instructions in our introduction.
2. Place a nonstick pan on the stove (or the BBQ grill) and let it heat up well.
3. Place the burger on the pan and forget about it for 3 minutes. Of course, we do not add any fatty ingredient ( oil/butter ) in our pan.
4. Sprinkle the patties with salt and turn them over. Add the bacon in the same pan next to the burgers and cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. In the meantime, in another pan, fry the eggs in the oil.
6. About a minute before you remove the patties, add 1 or 2 slices of cheddar on each patty.
7. Serve on the buns with your desired toppings.
Easy? Very! For extra pleasure, go ahead and make a double cheeseburger with lots of juicy pickles and slabs of mayo! Let the egg get all runny, grab it with your hands and take your first bite! Close your eyes and enjoy your perfect homemade burger! But… if you’re feeling kinda lazy… come on over to New York Sandwiches and I’ll make it for you!